I feel the need to share my thoughts. I am never a fan of any Filipino celebrities. I share the same sentiment of many who will choose American series or Korean dramas over Teleseryes because my rationale tells me that Filipino scripts and dramas are too much ‘maarte’ or ‘hindi na realidad’. There are a hundred times when I criticized Filipino films because of the content and the script (Not indie. I LOVE FILIPINO INDIE FILMS). I am not a fan either of LOVETEAMS. They are too “pa-cute” for me. I love being a Filipino but I do not find Philippine entertainment, interesting or entertaining anymore. Sorry, please do not bash me for saying that. Philippine entertainment is just so ‘shallow’ in my opinion. But I guess, all of that changed after witnessing the very first episode of EB’s Kalyeserye. And now, the Kalyeserye is 2 months old. Every day I would ask myself, WHY AM I SO HOOKED WITH THIS THING?!
Kalyeserye is PURE GENIUS. This is a different take from the traditional shows and programs of the entertainment industry. And guys, you should know, that our television at home is tuned in to ‘Dos’ every morning, afternoon and evening. So, I am not familiar with new actresses and actors of GMA that emerged right after Encantandia and first batch of Star Struck. But Kalyeserye changed all that. Actually, being familiar with “Maine Mendoza” as the Dubsmash Queen changed all that. At first, I thought she’s one of the ‘papansin’ few in social media. After watching all her dubsmash compilations… shoot! I just had a girl crush… She is SO COOL! One day, I saw a post in FB and saw Maine with Wally and Jose in “Juan For All, All For Juan”. Saktong-sakto because that was the day when she was surprised with Alden on the other half of the screen. Dahil doon, since day one, I’m a fan. Nahihiya pa ako to tell about it to anyone, at first. But I started tweeting and reading comments after comments. I became active in twitter and followed Alden and Maine’s account. It’s a different feeling for me because my girl crushes were all from Hollywood (Nina Dobrev, Keira Knightley and Blake Lively). O tapos ngayon, Filipina celebrity talaga?! That’s weird for me.
But as they all say THERE IS MAGIC BETWEEN THESE TWO that we cannot fathom. I’m not the only fan who testifies that this is the first time that a Filipino segment or celebrity has caught their attention this much. So, there’s really something.
Amidst the so-called twitter ‘war’ that has been going-on, I read the tweets and watched the other just for fair judgement. But I would still prefer Kalyeserye. There are a number of reasons why, but I’d like to share only five:
- Since Day 1, this has been my (and even some of my churchmates and officemates) stress reliever. I cannot exlain why am I smiling while watching every episode of Kalyeserye but yes, call it CORNY all you want. But it warms my heart and it feels sooooo good to laugh because of JoWaPao’s ‘banat’. And that ‘kilig’ that we actually don’t know where its coming from makes me forget that I’m single. Oh, the AlDub effect!
- I love Maine (period). I am 4 years older than Maine but I admire the lady. I’ve read her blogs, her ask.fm and stalked her twitter and instagram. She usually writes “my only talent is dubsmash”… Oh, yeah? Then how can you even play drums without training. Damn girl, YOU CAN ACT! YOU CAN EVEN SING! Tapos, “no talent” HWAW. Well, that’s just it, her humility (kahit obvious naman that she really can) is so appealing. She got the charm, yes. But there are a lot of celebrities who got that as well. But how many celebrities can you actually see smiling so genuinely and so natural like hers. We should also take note, that’s she’s even more beautiful when she doesn’t have heavy make up. Her smile can truly “Launch a gazillion ships”. She’s smart and CAN actually write ( I do hope for a book in the future). And my best description would be, walang ka-kyeme kyeme. OA KUNG OA. So what? That’s one reason we fell in love with her. She can bring on the table, the real ‘she’ even if the eyes of the whole nation and even her crush is on her. Kahit pa humiga sa daan at sumandal sa pader na… (alam nyo na ‘yun).
- The Love for her Lola. There are a thousand Filipino stories of parents going abroad, grandparents replacing the role. In reality, most of those kids have gone astray. But in this serye, her devotion to Lola is just so endearing. That’s a true Filipino character right there on our TV screens. (Hindi yung mga pabebe na kontrabida). Lola Nidora is just like our parents, super higpit, ang daming bawal, dapat may ganito, dapat may ganon. But at the end of the day, they were only doing that because of love and because they truly care. And in this series, despite of ‘kasungitan’ ni Lola, Yaya stays by her side. Isn’t that a good lesson that we should all learn to stay right beside the people who took good care of us despite of all the circumstances because at the end of the day… They are still your family.
- As I’ve said, this is PURE GENIUS. I am a Broadcast Communication graduate, quite familiar with ins and outs of production. ‘Nakakapagod ang mag-prod’. But people, THIS IS LIVE! So this is even harder. I always wonder how they are going to end this or to sustain the story? That mystery always invites me to watch the Kalyeserye. Even the term “KALYE-SERYE”. Did we had something like that before? No. We had teleserye, telenovelas… But KALYESERYE??? This is a modern take of Street theater that is being aired on TV. PURE GENIUS! We are witnessing “artists” before our eyes. No “Take 2s”, No Cuts and No Editing!!! ANG GALING! ANG LUFET TO THE HIGHEST LEVEL!
- It turns me back to old times. How? Remember when you use to connect everything about you and your crush? How about those times that you’ll run into him/her and you can’t do anything but to melt? Well, not just that. It made us realize the sweetness of waiting and the sweetness of courting the “Filipino way”. Aminin mo? Gusto mo rin masuyo like what Alden does if someone came along? We are all exhausted with past relationships and even issues that are pointless, but this Kalyeserye, as they all say, GAVE US A BREATH OF FRESH AIR. It made us go back to old ways of comedy (acting exaggerately) and not those that can actually hurt people. It made us feel good because of the music that we all missed playing on the radio. It made us realize that “Pwede pa pala ako kiligin?” I’ve hear that line many times from my friends and even “Mommies”. And every time you hear that, nakakaproud di ba? Na maging part ng something that made history in Philippine Television. Kudos to Creative heads and writers!
Scripted or not, I will never forget that there’s this AlDub who turned my world upside down. Who could ever imagine that there would be an accidental love team? Wala. Let’s all face it. If not for July 16 episode, Maine and Alden’s career wouldn’t be on hype like this. Funny, I just found out a month ago that I already saw Alden with Marianne in person while I was in Baguio a year ago (I think… Carmela Days) but because it’s Marianne whom I only knew, her partner never made an impression on me. But now! Who wouldn’t know the name “Alden Richards” Di ba? Kalyeserye has been a blessing to Maine and Alden, to Eat Bulaga, to GMA, to the entertainment industry and to all the viewers and fans.
Lastly, I just wrote what I know and observed. Kanya-kanya tayo ng choices at gusto. All the things that I wrote here are my reasons for loving AlDub and EB so much (That I even took time to write this) I did not write this to convince people to watch them, I’m simply expressing my thoughts. The ‘twitter war’ that’s going on is seriously ‘nonsense’. Wala dapat pagtapatin, wala dapat pag-awayin. I have my personal opinion to that but I’ll keep my mouth shut, those are pointless. Why? Because we are here to support and not to ruin other people’s lives or career. These people makes us happy every single day so why spread the BV. “Are we threatened?” That’s actually a good question. Were you fighting because your ‘celebrity crushes’ are bashed? Yes they may need someone to fight for them but there are still more relevant things to fight for. Their accomplishments in the industry will speak for them. Those people who are NOT threatened would simply ignore all the BVs going around. We are not convincing them to love what we love. Let them choose what they want to choose. Basta tayo… SOLID!
‘Yun lang 🙂